Prom events are beautifully arranged to portray all women in gorgeous prom dresses. It’s time to flaunt your style and make a bold fashion statement. Whether you want to look cute, glamorous or vintage, we have it all for you. If you are amazed at your search for the perfect evening dress, read through the tips and explore the gallery for unique prom dress ideas. A glittering ball gown might look amazing on your best friend, but not you. Yes! You need to know which choice is right for you.
Prom fashion trends that are timeless
The past year has drawn people in with the trending prom outfits like the off-the-shoulder dark dresses that give a grunge look, the printed tapestry sketched dress with simple jewelry, and the glamorous designer evening dresses that give a vintage look . These prom fashion trends are there to stay.
When choosing your prom outfits, there are a few more points to keep in mind below.
Points to consider when buying an evening dress
- Comfort: The ball gown should be made of a comfortable material, and the fabric should be smooth so that the wardrobe does not malfunction.
- Radiant colors: The dress should be essentially attractive and stunning, the look and color of the dress should be dynamic. More importantly, the color choice of the dress will depend on your skin tone, the color of your hair and eyes.
- Well fitting: The dress should fit well and not hang loosely, as this would detract from the glamorous look. Choose the style according to your body type by going through the tips below.
Ball gown types
Some of the most popular types of ball gowns are:
- A-line prom dresses
- Halter prom outfits
- Ball gowns
- Empire waist dresses
- Celebrity-inspired dresses
- Cocktail dresses
- High low style
- Casual evening dresses in frock-style
Which ball gown should you wear according to your body type?
Know your body type i.e. apple body, pear body, rectangle figure, or hourglass, and then make the selection. Dressing up as a prom star means downplaying the problem areas of the body while emphasizing assets.
If you are busty, that is, have narrow hips and a large chest, try to draw attention to the face with perfect makeup. Choose dresses that add curves to the hip area and create a balanced / defined waist. If you have beautiful legs, show them off, but don’t choose a very short dress. While slim girls with a thin frame should choose waist with a belt, slits, asymmetrical necklines, etc., which will emphasize the slim and long body. For a petite body, narrow cuts with a pleated / wrapped top are recommended to successfully create an illusion of beautiful curves.
- Best prom style for hourglass body type: Hourglass Body Type Women should prefer slim-fitting prom dresses. Since the ladies in the hourglass shape have a naturally proportional figure, they have a perfect figure to flaunt. Virtually all styles of ball gowns look wonderful on such ladies. Check the gallery for figure flattering dresses. V-necks, pencil cuts, and figure-hugging dresses would help you attract eyeballs. Avoid round necklines or baggy dresses completely.
- Best prom style for an apple shaped bodyy: If most of your weight is in the middle part of the body, then it is an apple-shaped body type. If shorter, undefined waistlines and slimmer legs set you apart, choose an empire waist dress with an embellished top that draws attention to the upper half of the body. Avoid ruffles and fussy dresses and choose simple cuts. Go for an A-line prom look with a full skirt and V-neck that hides the chest area and gives your neck a longer look. Wear a dress that can camouflage the middle part of your body – let’s say a dress with embellished ruffles. Show off your legs with a high-low ball gown or a designer short dress if you love the shape of your legs!
- Best prom style for pear shaped bodies: If you have a defined waist with hips larger than your chest, your body will be pear-shaped. In that case, flaunt your waistline! Add volume to the upper half of the body by emphasizing the petite waist and playing down the lower half of the body. An A-line skirt with a strapless top or an open neckline is the best choice for pear shaped dresses with spaghetti straps or dresses with an open back so that viewers can admire your top. This is our recommendation. Make sure to avoid evening dresses.
How to choose the color of evening dress based on your skin tone and the color of your hair / eyes?
Ball gowns look the most beautiful in warm shades such as ivory, rich brown, orange, gold, champagne, etc. If you’re not being fair, avoid extremely light shades like true black, crisp white, etc., as this could draw attention to the yellow skin tone. However, some universal colors have always dominated prom fashion, that is, the shades of purple and camel color. No more need to take a quiz about the color of the prom dress. Read on to make your choices based on the color of your eyes, hair, and skin.
- Light to medium skin and light blonde hair girls: Choose pastel blues, mints, and pale pinks. More like the colors of the Disney princess or the Cinderella ball gown. Choosing lighter shades will bring out the natural features and make you look fresh and sporty an ethereal prom look.
- Pale skin tone, brown eyes, and red hair girls: Dramatic contrast allows you to bring out the eye-catching color of your hair. Let your impressive facial features rule prom night with warm hues like peach or contrasting hues like emerald green.
- White skin tone, piercing eyes, and dark medium length hair: Play your party look with deep black. For a bold look, you can also go for cool, pure white with bright red lip color or a solid turquoise hue.
- Olive skin, dark eyes and hair: For the beauties with olive skin, coral, navy, mustard yellow, salmon pink and of course olive green are the best colors. With deep features, these bright colors would add to your beauty.
Get ready with our suggestions for a seductive look in a beautiful ball gown. The most popular ideas for prom dresses can be found in the gallery with a variety of long dresses, short dresses and plus size prom dresses.